Natural Cold Remedies
Treating the common cold, some natural cold remedies and other general cold prevention tips explained by Dr. Chris Kammer for the Quantum Health Video Series The average person gets two or three colds every year. And while a cold won’t kill you, it suppresses the immune system enough so that more serious problems can occur. Many of us get the Flu, which can affect 20 to 50 percent of the population each year. It's very contagious and is mostly spread by direct person-to-person contact. Here are a few tips to prevent or minimize colds:
- At the very first hint of a cold or flu, take action!
- Suck on a zinc lozenge until it melts away. Then suck another every two waking hours. Or use a zinc-based oral spray such as Thera Zinc Spray from Quantum Health.
- Take the herb astragalus twice a day until you are better. A 250 mg dose is suggested. Also, Echinacea will help reduce the duration of a cold.
- If it’s the flu, the herb elderberry has been shown to help reduce the duration and severity of flu.
- Wash your hands often. This is the most common recommendation for good reason. It’s true. The Navy did a study on 40,000 people and found that regular hand washing cut their likelihood of getting a chest cold by 45%.
And here are a few you may not know:
Rub your eyes with a knuckle. Eyes are an entry point for germs and you’re less likely to have virus germs on your knuckles than your fingers. Guess what? Most people rub their eyes or nose around 30 times a day.
Microwave your toothbrush. Put it in for 10 seconds and you’ll kill germs that can cause colds and more. Also replace it every month when you change the page on your calendar and after you've had a cold.
For more information on natural cold remedies, including the full range of zinc products and elderberry products mentioned in this article, please visit the Quantum Health website website https://quantumhealth.com. This information has been created as part of the Quantum Health Oral Care Series.