Elderberry Extract for Immune Support
Sometimes the winter months can leave you feeling run down. That's when it's time to give your immune system added powerful support.
Elderberry extract has been used for generations to strengthen immune systems during the long, winter months. This useful berry from the elderberry plant is chock full of everything you need to feel your best: Vitamin C, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
Elderberry’s powerful use for issues during winter months was first discovered by Dr. Madleine Mumcuoglu, an Israeli virologist (virus researcher) who's studies have been widely published and relied upon. Other scientists followed up and published additional studies again showing elderberry’s efficacy. Researchers found that the Sambucus nigra form of elderberry had a neutralizing effect, especially when used quickly. In fact, further studies have shown that daily use of Elderberry can be beneficial.
What is elderberry?
The best elderberry supplements are made from the extract of the fruit of the European black elderberry, also known as Sambucus nigra. The elder plant is a deciduous flowering shrub that is commonly grown in Europe. Elderberries have been used for centuries in many different cultures to improve health and wellbeing.
The use of the black elder plant throughout history as a medicinal herb has been found in Europe, Northern Africa and some parts of Asia. It was traditionally used in folklore to keep evil spirits away and treat various ailments.
In North America, Native Americans used the berries of the closely related plant, the American Elder, as a cure for many ills.
Now, we have been rediscovering the many uses of this versatile berry. It's most important use appears to be the boost it can provide to the immune system.
Boosting your immune system
Aside from getting proper rest and drinking plenty of fluids, using elderberry supplements may help get you back on your feet more quickly when you're not feeling well.
What exactly is it about this fruit that has been drawing people to it for centuries? Well, the elderberry contains several special properties that can give your immune system a big boost when it needs it the most:
- Vitamin C. Elderberries contain high levels of vitamin C. Vitamin C has been found to support a healthy immune system. Our bodies don't make vitamin C, so we need to get it from what we eat and drink. Elderberries contain a big dose of vitamin C to help keep you healthy. Vitamin C is essential to helping you regain your energy levels. It's also been found to shorten recovery time.
- Antioxidants. Elderberries contain large amounts of antioxidants, which are extremely important to our health. Antioxidants work by reducing the effects of free radicals in our body. Free radicals are produced by our cells as we process food and react to the environment. But antioxidants combat the negative effects of free radicals, and elderberry fruit is full of them.
- Hemagglutinin protein. The hemagglutinin protein can attack your immune system and lead you to not feeling your best. The amazing thing about elderberries is that they have been found to block these proteins from attaching to your cells. In essence, this means that when you're feeling bad, elderberry supplements will help you to start feeling better sooner.
- Phytonutrients. Elderberries also contain a hearty dose of phytonutrients. These are chemicals produced by plants that are found in high doses in brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Phytonutrients help protect plants from outside threats, and they can help keep us healthy when we eat them.
Choosing elderberry supplements
There are several different forms to choose from when you are looking at an elderberry extract supplement. What you decide to use comes down to personal preference.
Elderberry supplements come in various forms:
- Syrups. Elderberry syrup contains all the benefits to boost your immune system, and it can also soothe the throat.
- Capsules. A convenient form to help you get your elderberry year-round, these elderberry pills are a great choice.
- Throat lozenges. Throat lozenges are wonderful to take when you are feeling under the weather and need some soothing relief for the throat.
- Tinctures. Tinctures can supply you with a big boost of elderberry in its purest form. They contain the highest dose and are useful when your immune system is feeling particularly challenged and in need of an extra boost.
Whatever form of elderberry you choose, be certain you are purchasing a high-quality product. Look for supplements that contain the Sambucus nigra elderberry extract, which is the European black elderberry.
An amazing little fruit
The winter can be a rough time for your immune system. We're stuck indoors, skies are often gray, and it's easy to get a bit down. When you're feeling unwell, you need to get plenty of rest, drink fluids and see your doctor if symptoms don't improve.
However, you may find that elderberry supplements can help get you back on your feet. Elderberry is an amazing little fruit that has been found to pack big benefits in boosting your immune system.